Sunday, April 20, 2008

I don't care, I'm gonna wear a skirt.

The temperature may range from 29-33 degrees, but the sun is out and that is enough psychological influence for me to decide to wear a skirt. So I am. And it is fantastic. When I'm indoors. It wouldn't be so bad if not for the breezes ...

I've done an absolutely terrible thing. I haven't used my camera in about a week. And I am SO bummed, because that worship night we put on last Thursday was absolutely fantastic (I really like that word). I spent most of Thursday setting up the fellowship hall to not look like a barren wasteland of church space. And it was beautiful! There was a station for lighting candles for someone (a tad catholic perhaps?), a station for writing prayer requests and posting them on a prayer wall (wheel-able bulletin board, but decorated), an area for those who worship through art (the water colors were pretty popular), and I converted the sanctuary's cry room - accessible from the fellowship hall - into a prayer room. This was all accompanied by great mood lighting (aka white Christmas lights all over ...) and it was all-around comfortable and inspiring. I was more or less inspired by the prayer room my host family set up for a 36-hr prayer project they created in my basement. Anyway, the night was amazing, and actually went for about 2 hours ... that's a long time, and people were still there! And every station was used, which just feels good. It was also amazing because I even felt refreshed from it even though I put on most of it, and usually when that happens I get overwhelmed ... but nope! It was fabulous. I hope they do it again next year. But I suppose that depends on the band next year, and this year a lot of them are graduating.

We actually held some tryouts this weekend, which I think went really well. It was good not only for a fair process of forming a new band, but to set a kind of standard for expectation and commitment, which I think is a healthy mentality that needs to be addressed for such things. Same thing goes for Student Leadership interviews - these things are so good. It causes me to call to mind those people who get upset over why there are rules and regulations, or a system for doing things, not realizing that most of the time those are created for the good of the individual/community involved. Don't get me wrong, legalism is dangerous for sure, but many times our Christian guidelines (most of which are set by God/Jesus) are very beneficial. Like why we follow certain ground rules as Christians - no sex before marriage let's say, and people blur the lines saying 'Oh I'll be okay with God, this is an old rule from the Bible, things have changed' or something like that. And I just want them to take a look and realize, 'hey, we believe in a loving and just God who wants the best for you, do you really think He tells you these things for you to cast them aside?' And we look at the ways that it can be damaging when we go against this Godly suggestion (as current culture seems to think it) contrasted with the deep blessing we get when we take Him seriously and live into the promise of true life when we remain in Him. That is a long tangent on why we have certain procedures, but that is the way my mind works, and I could go off again on the issue of drinking and Christianity right now, but this post is already getting long. Let me know if you want to hear me vent.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord ... and watch movies, or do crafts, or just be. I like that. As my time winds down (wind is a weird word - like the air stream or how you use a twisty tie? you decide ...) I like to just spend time with these people. My family, friends - will I get this chance ever again?!?! NO!! These are the people that are here, now, and it will never be the same. That's saddening, but also challenging to make the most of now ...

No comments: