Typhoid? Check.
Malaria? Check.
Tetanus booster? Apparently, check. And ow.
Had my visit to the doctor, so all who may have been worried - thank you - and have no fear, I shouldn't be coming back with anything too severe or damaging to my health. But only time will tell, right? hmmm ...
Anyway, I have to tell you that God works, and that God does answer prayer. Yes, yes you've all heard that before, but I'm not joking. I have recently been more fired up and encouraged by students to create a opportunity of intellectual dicussion about social justice issues in the world. It's something that I wanted to do at the beginning of the year, but I didn't find students who were excited about it, and it's difficult to generate interest with something that has no initial interest. But hark! By random circumstances and happenstance I stumbled upon a group of people from the new church plant Resonate called Activate - doing exactly what I have been dreaming into existence yesterday evening. They were showing the film 'Ararat' and had a discussion to follow - nothing like a movie about the Armenian genocide in Turkey to get your blood flowing, and the passion for the people of the world to steam up once again.
Friends, I cannot tell you how refreshing it was to sit and watch this movie - don't get me wrong, it was pretty depressing, I mean it's genocide, and a nation that still won't admit it happened. But this is what I choose to do on my Friday nights. This is what I would prefer to do with just about ALL my Friday nights. Talk about the issues, discuss the atrocities that we as Americans have become ignorant about, be overcome with passion and compassion for the people of the world, discuss our responsibility as Christians and perhaps simply as Americans. To talk about this with college students, to dream big about intergenerational movement, empowerment to make a difference in this world that is still so full of turmoil, and yet so easily hidden from view here in Pullman. My heart ACHES for the apathetic and unknowing people of this campus, who choose to live in their own bubble of selfdom, conquered by the success mosquito that is sucking their money, time and purpose into an empty bottomless pit. If every single person chose to daily change the way they live in order to not live for themselves, to know about the world around them, and consider the way we can positively impact the lives of others, how would the world change?
Oh, and check out this sunset. Yes, Palouse, you have a part of my heart.
1 comment:
Your blogs are really good. And it's neat to see how your writing has perpetually become more introspective and eloquent. Miss you, can't wait till Ascent!
ashleechoi.wordpress.com
Post a Comment