Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Makings of a Wha ....

When snow DOES get turned off, it gets slushy and dark from street gravel and all splattery from cars as they drive down the street. I didn't think about this ahead of time, but I don't want the snow to be turned back on, I just don't want to be splashed by it when I walk to Starbucks. Tastes a little salty, I think.

The countdown is now less than 25 days ... Nicaragua! I've never really been to Central America before. I say 'really' because I've done Tijuana, Mexico - you're average house-building-teenage-mission trip, which gives you a spoonful of church community with a pinch of culture thrown in (I may or may not have just made a slight reference to Bride and Prejudice there, you decide). Either way, I'm pretty excited. I'd better make sure I've got all my shots in order. One of our students came back from visiting the doctor for that very reason, and I have never seen someone so stricken with a fear of needles - pale, on edge, doesn't want to move his arm for fear of feeling the medicine seep into his body, needed to take a time out on his rocking chair to gain some comfort. Goodness gracious. But otherness to look forward to is playing worship with one of our students! We're gonna practice weekly leading up to it, and that is just fantastic because there's nothing like playing music. NOTHING.

I'm feeling a little down/up at the moment in retrospect of the INN last night - it was a great INN. I did the announcements with one of our students - who's never done it before, yeah for integration! And there were many people, great conversations and just a good atmosphere. The thing is I didn't really make any one-on-one dates, but in an odd way felt okay about that. So I've got this balance of down/up syndrome (not to be confused with up/down syndrome, of the 'Winnie the Pooh' Variety) - down because there wasn't great individual contact, but kind of 'up' because it makes me think about what my goal is as being an intern. Yes, there is the definite need and blessing of being in relationships with students (don't get me wrong, I'm meeting with students this week, I just didn't force my calendar on anyone last night), but also the fact that I'm only here for a year is coming into focus a little more. I'm connecting them to the ministry, not just myself. I'm connecting them to each other, not just to me. That has to be a HUGE part of why I do what I do - these students are here for 4(+) years, and are often searching for community and a good social scene. I can give them a friendship that will last ... a year. I mean, some will last longer than this year for sure, but really they need to be connected to something that is consistent, and offers a solid something for their time in college, not MY time at WSU. And perhaps this is also helping me (and them?) gain a broader perspective on connecting to Jesus, that people come and go, that experiences last for a few years and then change. But God is everywhere. He is consistent. He is everlasting. And although I may change, He will not. Although I may become distant, He will not (it might seem like it's Him at times, but it's probably me). It makes me feel like 'intern' should have the label 'connector' or 'novice networker' because really, we're always trying to connect them to something bigger than themselves, whether that be community or a relationship with Jesus. So even though I feel a little bummed that I'm not trekking to Starbucks 3x later this week, or camping out at the bookie, I'm okay with the fact that students know students, and students know Jesus. It was cool to wander through the chatting groups of people last night seeing who now knows who. But anyway, back to my job, anyone want to go grab some coffee?

P.S. I made another video for our ski trip this weekend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl2yP9p_54s

Perhaps this pic is an accurate down/up representation?

1 comment:

I am Kate Maxwell said...

yeah, i wanna grab coffee with you.