So basically, I LOVE Relient K and Switchfoot. They are fantastic. And believe it or not the were on tour TOGETHER this fall. I know, what are the chances. As luck would have it, they came to Everett. Is that luck? Probably not, because I'm a ridiculously long distance away. But I ran a proposal by Bill and Claire back in ... September? Asking if it would be okay, as long as I was prepared for the INN on Tuesday, since the concert was on a Monday ... so permission granted. Now, find a ride ... My friend Vince at InterVarsity wanted to go too, and we found Sarah who works on staff in with IV in Moscow and she has a car! Success! The only thing standing in our way now was ... a Sunday BLIZZARD?? Yes. At about 2pm, the weather went crazy. Could not see the house across the street. The power went out around town. My socks got wet. A blizzard.
But did God want us to go to that concert? Apparently yes. Rain Sunday night, clear roads on Monday. We got there just in time to see Relient K, and then Switchfoot. And stayed the night at my house, and left at 8am the next morning. Wow. Home is so close and yet so far away.
So we're back in time for the Holiday INN! I got a chance to play with the worship team, which was a lot of fun, playing guitar and singing. I've always wanted to do it, I just never felt good enough for it. What a joy. And after, we had pictures with Santa! You know, to celebrate Christmas. I guess we could have tried pictures with Jesus, but that doesn't sound quite right ... since we shouldn't borrow babies for pictures anyway ... well, maybe next year.
And continuing on, I cannot believe that the semester is basically over. How time flies! If that's the truth then I must be having fun. No, truly I am having the time of my life. It's gone so fast that sometimes I feel like I'm not really comprehending all that I am learning. And part of me feels like I'll understand it all in time, but part of me feels that I might forget it if I don't consider it now. So here I come, Journal! I love these students, they are full of surprises and challenges and joy.
And one more song for the road - Sandra McCracken, who wrote 'Thy Mercy', also wrote this song 'Rock of Ages (When The Day Seems Long)' which I have just been thinking about and loving. Annie Alldredge sang it last year at the INN, and I fell in love with it at first ... hear? Check it out, I've pasted the lyrics below. Now on to Colorado, nothing like a good intern retreat to help me figure all of this out!
Rock of Ages, when the day seems long
From this labor and this heartache I have come
The skies will wear out, but You remain the same
Rock of Ages, I praise Your name.
Rock of Ages, You have brought me near
You have poured out Your life-blood, Your love,
Your tears To make this stone heart come alive again
Rock of Ages, forgive my sin
Rock of Ages, when in want or rest
My desperate need for such a Savior I confess
Pull these idols out from my heart embrace
Rock of Ages, I need Your grace
Rock of Ages, broken, scorned for me
Who am I that You would die to make me free?
To give me glory, You took the death and pain
Rock of Ages, my offering
Rock of Ages, "It is done," You cried
The curtain's torn and I see justice satisfied
Now write Your mercy here on my heart and hands
Rock of Ages, in faith I stand
Rock of Ages, my great hope secure
Your promise holds just like an anchor to my soul
Bind your children with cords of love and grace
Rock of Ages, we give You praise
Chorus:
Rock of Ages, Rock of Ages
Bind your children til' your kingdom comes
Rock of Ages, Your will be done
Words by Sandra McCracken
No comments:
Post a Comment