Saturday, November 10, 2007

Bloom Where You're Planted.

My refrigerator spoke to me on Wednesday morning. Not verbally, or through my stomach, but by using magnets. Really just one magnet. Bloom where you're planted. As I stood there eating the apple scone the oven was communicating to me with, I couldn't help but be struck by the enormity of that statement. It is simple yet profound, it is profound and in no way simple. Bloom where you're planted.

Let's really think about it for a minute: Bloom where you're planted. We can say this is relevant to me now in my current position (or anyone in their current position) to be present where I'm present. To make the most of my situation while I have the time to make the most of it. I'm only here for a year! I don't want to regret not doing something I had the chance to do. Funny - I was just watching the 1st episode of Heroes (yeah, now I've got the 1st season on hand, don't expect to see me for a while ...) and Milo's character was making a statement to the effect of 'did you ever feel like you were meant to do something extraordinary?' and I honestly feel like that sometimes. And I can't ignore it. I don't think it means I can fly or anything, but we are each capable of unimaginable things (well, really, imaginable things, but you have to have no boundaries or else you'd consider them unimaginable), and if we put our minds to it we really can change the world.

Another image that comes to mind with my plant analogy is that of a seed. That in order for something to grow and bloom, it has to be planted somewhere. It has to be nurtured and fed nutrients, it has to get energy and sustenance and can't just be blown by the wind. You have to be planted somewhere. You have to make some roots in order to really grow, or at least to grow healthy and strong. Where are your roots? Where are you getting your energy? Where are you turning to for life? And is it truly giving you life?

Bloom where you're planted. A cool thing about seeds too, is that if you just find a seed randomly and without it's package or labeling, you don't know what you're gonna get once you plant it. And granted, different flowers grow in different environments, but isn't it cool when you see that out-of-place flower growing among the regular crop? Kind of a diamond in the rough ...
Bloom where you're planted.

No comments: